A friend of mine, Sam Wright, was working on the staff of a BYU science fiction/fantasy publication called Leading Edge. The staff wanted to start a podcast, complete with some sort of introductory jingle. Sam was acquainted with my composition skills (we had previously worked together on three Pokémon-themed songs, more about that when I talk about T. 63), so he asked me to write this jingle. The guidelines were that it should be about ten seconds long, and the staff wanted it to sound similar to the opening theme of the popular TV show, How I Met Your Mother.
I listened to the How I Met Your Mother theme and came up with a short melody that sounded similar. I then spent an hour working out the bass, chords, and instrumentation for the melody. I spent another hour recording my own beatboxing and singing, and finalizing the sound files. I wasn’t sure exactly what instrumentation Leading Edge wanted, so I made four versions: piano with vocal, a cappella, string quartet, and string quartet with beatboxing. I had a lot of fun making this little theme, and Sam and the rest of the staff liked it as well (they preferred the piano/vocal version). The plan was to have a podcast up and running in in early 2015. As far as I know, it never came to fruition (at least, nothing has happened with it at the time of this post). Even so, I am very grateful for this opportunity to do what all beginning composers are asked to do at some point: write a short, fun, memorable jingle.
No comments:
Post a Comment